Sunday, August 15, 2010

What this Heart Means to Lindsey

For as long as I can remember, my Dad and his heart have been a big part of my life. When I was little I didn’t really understand the seriousness of my Father’s disease. My parents did a good job of shielding us from it and I never would have guessed that my dad would face years of battling heart disease. However, over time I became more aware of my dad’s condition. Once I moved out of the house, late night calls sent me into an immediate panic. I would wait to hear the tone in my mother’s voice before deciding how to react. Plans were made with the reality that we may never see them through.

Don’t get me wrong. My life with Mom, Dad and Kelly was wonderful in so many other ways. My parents were adventurous, spontaneous and never ran short on hugs and kisses. I will never regret for one minute the life I have with my family. My dad’s illness has allowed me a unique perspective on life that I was blessed to learn at a very young age. My glass was never half empty.

So, what does my Dad’s heart meant to me? Everything. It means we get to make plans for the future. It means I get to imagine my Dad watching his grandchildren grow. It means I get to see the most important woman in my life grow old with her soul mate. It means I have a chance to have my daddy around to give me a hard time, make fun of my hair and tell everyone where my kid’s good looks come from. This beautiful gift from God will never go unappreciated. I will always be grateful. Yes, this heart means so many things to so many people. For me, it means I get my Dad back.

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey,

    Ok, reading yours made me cry, not a sad cry but a understanding cry, I hope you all have many many many more years with your dad. and with Roy's heart to help I know that is possible.

    ReplyDelete