Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What this Heart Means to Kelly

When I think of all the major on-goings in my life as a kid, they all seem to revolve around Dad being sick. Not sure if it’s good or bad but my most fondest memories and funniest moments have been during Dad’s “episodes”. To this day we still laugh about Lindsey riding in the plane on the toilet seat to Iowa, and Dad giving Steve a hard time about how due to his lack of driving skills he tried getting rid of him during Hurricane Ike. What good are life changing events if you can’t find anything to laugh about afterwards? The one important thing I learned growing up from Dad was to joke about everything, laughing will always make you feel better. There is only one person in the world that you would ever think of when you see a bean bag, a roll of duck tape or a crappy old beat up not running car that would make you laugh uncontrollably…that’s my Dad. There’s always something to laugh about when he’s around. By reading my sister’s What This Heart Means…you can see she was the more serious one of the family, me not so much. Dad and I have always had a sick sense of humor when it comes to showing affection to each other and others around us… make fun of people or joke with them this shows them how much you love them. So note to everyone reading this, if we’ve joked about you then you know you are loved!

What this heart has meant to me is that I actually got to know my Dad, all jokes aside. Growing up I have a lot of really great memories, but none like the one I will have during the 3 months he was in the hospital waiting for his new heart. We’ve always joked, but never really sat and discussed life, kids, work, etc. Our daily breakfast, occasional lunch and weekend visits with the family were something I will always cherish. I’ll never forget the look on the nurses face the first time he went on a walk with R2D2, he pretended like she unplugged the machine and he was being electrocuted (of course I was standing there getting it all on tape)…we both laughed – she didn’t! From then on everyone in the hospital knew never to take either one of us seriously. I honestly thought many a times that if a new heart didn’t come or something happened, I felt like I knew and understood Dad better than I ever have and I’d be ok with whatever came our way. Now the added bonus is that he got a new heart, and now my kids are going to get plenty of jokes, made fun of and lots of laughs. They can learn how to be jokesters from the Master.

1 comment:

  1. Kelly you two keep that humor, Roy would love it.....it was a jokester and love to do pranks some times only funny to him....that is why he if he had any date to pick to go home to our Heavenly father it would of been April 1st! When life gift called and ask if April 1st was ok, I almost said no get back to me later, LOL....Just didn’t know how they would have taken it. So instead I just laughed and said yes April 1st was a ok day.

    ReplyDelete